[Peakoil] [Peak Oil] Survival 101

Nature and Society Forum office at natsoc.org.au
Thu Apr 13 11:04:18 EST 2006

Alex wrote:

> The emphasis on "survival" is appropriate. Another term we could use
> "sustainability" has unfortunately been debased by over-use.

> I would attend, does anyone have ideas on speakers/panelists
> for the various segments?

> I could forward this to a national oil peak list and see what people think.

> Alex
> O4O4873828

Just thinking a bit more again about the 'survival' conference. Shouldn't we spend the first half day setting the scene on why we can't take our present modes of survival for granted into the future? That is, we need to consider the threats and risks from peak oil, climate change, biodiversity loss, soil degradation, overpopulation, political and environmental refugees, water shortage, a pandemic, food (in)security and a host of others.

Once we have established the likelihood of a need for change, then people will be ready for the second part of the conference which will be on societal / national / community / family and individual preparations. In fact many older people will not be too interested in relocating to the country (which is a rather individualistic approach and not financially viable for many Australians). This option poses massive ecological risks if newcomers end up causing erosion, felling trees, building fences, disturbing wildlife, increasing bushfire risk and otherwise despoiling Australia's fragile ecologies. There are many other reasons to favour the idea of ruralization (that is, in fostering communities of up to 30,000 - the size of the mediaeval city states) over the idea of individuals heading off to the hinterland and trying to do everything for themselves.

Folke Gunther has written extensively on this approach - see for example his PowerPoint:

http://www.holon.se/folke/lectures/Ruralisation-filer/v3_document.htm

It's possible that the 'survival' conference should follow a couple of other conferences:

The first would be one that runs through the risks (examples above).

The second would look at ways to prevent, mitigate, ameliorate the damage to the biosphere, human health and society (these would range from individual action through to government action)

The third would look at ways to adapt to the future. Going bush might be one of these, but it's just one. If we all go bush Australia will be swamped by immigrants eager to join us in the good life!

Keith Thomas