[Peakoil] [Peak Oil] Survival 101

Adrian Whitehead ccserac.project1 at ecoaction.net.au
Thu Apr 13 11:58:23 EST 2006

I had programmed the setting scene element in, but focused it on the two
most immediate issues peak oil and climate change, if people wanted more we
could do it.

My thinking behind the choice was I didn't want to focus on too much and
sound like a "doomsday cult" to use the words from one member of the list
who replied privately to me, so left out bird flue and general environmental
degradation.

Climate Change can be used to highlight a number of the issue you
mentioned, bio div loss, soil deg, envi refugees etc.

Likewise the Jarrod bit can look at some of his case studies and include
more bit there.

I think a key focus on two will be enough but to reconsider esp. if we get a
speaker on each area - then no problem.

>From there to emphasis what I was getting in the suggested itinerary was a
session focused on surviving a depression scenario - where a set of solar
panels, solar hot water and a vege patch orientated north in the back yard
might see you through.

The next stage would discuss a collapse scenario.

Under a collapse scenario staying in a city is not an option unless your in
a self sustaining bunker with several years worth of supplies.

The initial purpose of my proposal is a shock and awe concept - it skips the
what you can do to stop it / deal with it (which will of course be stated in
brief at the end of the peak oil and climate change scenarios) and goes
straight to the assumption we are going to fail to rectify the problems and
hence we will have to deal with either a depression or collapse scenario.

Once people are exposed to the collapse scenario I would hope that they
would realise working towards this scenario is pretty meaningless for most
(expect perhaps the young and fit and those with a real desire to survive),
and they will draw the conclusion that the only real option is to act as a
society and work at great speed towards creating a sustainable society, and
help support the climate change and peak oil campaigns.

However I think your proposal would also have merit and is a fair bit softer
in context and focus.

Adrian

   _____