[Peakoil] Kunstler: None of the schemes currently circulating will avail

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Tue Apr 26 09:19:01 UTC 2011

This is what Jim Kunstler wrote this week about the future of motoring (including electric cars):

We've done a poor job of managing contraction, which is the fate of
societies that have piled up too much complexity. All of our schemes
for grappling with this seem to boil down to one foolish obsession:
how can we keep all the cars running? We're not going to, of course,
but we refuse to even think about anything else. President Obama
is merely reflecting the foolish obsession of the public.

Whenever I give a talk at a meeting or a college, somebody gets up
and censoriously asks we why I can't present "solutions" to the
problems of contraction we face. I do of course. The audience just
doesn't hear them because I don't believe it is possible to keep all
the cars running and I don't pretend that any of the schemes currently
circulating will avail. To go a step further, I'm convinced that we are
committing cultural suicide by using all the cars the way we do, so I
am not the one to look to for rescue remedies in this department. In
fact, I am serenely persuaded that we would vastly improve our chances
of remaining civilized if we gave up on mass motoring and deployed
ourselves on the landscape differently.

By the way, that will be the eventual outcome anyway, whether we like it or not.

http://kunstler.com/blog/2011/04/the-banana-peel-of-destiny.html#more
Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com