[Peakoil] from the Age today

Jenny Goldie jenny.goldie at optusnet.com.au
Wed Apr 27 03:42:30 UTC 2011

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/a-world-without-oil--its-closer-than-you-think-20110426-1dv1d.html#ixzz1KgviXKs7
A world without oil - it's closer than you think
Steve Hallett and John Wright
April 27, 2011
  Comments 89

So far, we've done very little to plan for the perilous moment.

Dismantle the oil rigs and stack them in a pile. Radio the tankers and order them back to port. Pull out the drills and seal the wells with cement. (A year after the BP spill in the Gulf of Mexico, let's hope we've learnt how to do that, at least.) Tow the platforms back to shore. Plug up the pipelines.

What would happen next? How would we live in a world without oil?

First, there's transportation. With the overwhelming majority of the oil we produce devoted to powering our cars, motorcycles, trucks, trains and planes, the impact on getting around would be most dramatic.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Price-gouging would begin right away, and long lines would form at petrol stations. The lines wouldn't last, though, because the supply would soon be gone. Within a month, every fuel tank would be dry, all our gauge needles would point to ''E'' and the roads, rails and skies would be virtually empty.

How far is it to the nearest supermarket? How long does it take to walk - or cycle, or skate - to work? Finally confronting our dependence on motor vehicles, we'd reach for whatever solutions we could find. Soon, we'd all be looking for an electric car (but there are precious few of those for sale) or converting our vehicles to run on natural gas. But we'd be waiting for some time to secure adequate natural gas supplies.

Our enslavement to black gold goes much further than the problem of getting from point A to point B. We also need to keep the lights on. This would be possible for a while, but brownouts and blackouts would soon begin - sure, our electricity is generated mostly from coal, but how would the coal be extracted without those diesel-guzzling yellow trucks? How would it be hauled to the power plants? (Remember, freight trains all run on diesel, too.)

Heating and cooling our homes would suddenly get a lot more complicated, and our televisions and laptops would be just a few weeks away from shutting off forever.

Forget even trying to get to work any more; we now have another set of problems to solve, especially if it's winter and our houses are getting cold. Can we quickly put together some solar panels and batteries? A wind turbine? What do we have growing in the backyard that can burn?

Environmentalists have been nudging us to insulate our homes and generate electricity from renewable resources for a while; this might be the time to start paying attention.

It gets much worse, of course, because a world without oil would quickly become a world without all the products made from petroleum that we have come to know, love and depend upon.

The list of essentials that we'd soon be doing without is prodigious: nearly all plastics, paints, medicines, hospital machines that go ''beep'', Barbie dolls, ballpoint pens, breast implants, golf balls.

Eating would get tougher, too. If no one can truck in fresh vegies from across the country, we might be inclined to go back to basics and grow our own food.

Local farmers would become a necessity, not just people who sell us honey at the school fete. That said, make sure to keep the food coming, fresh and fast, because it's going to be awfully difficult to refrigerate. Fishing might work, so you'd need to get a new rod while supplies last. Alas, most of them are made of plastic. Then again, so is fishing line.

It's an interesting thought experiment to picture a world suddenly without oil. Taken to its logical conclusion, it encompasses so much more: a complete and rapid breakdown of society, leading to desperation, lawlessness, wars and untold suffering. The scenario is unreal, of course, because we could never shut off our oil supply in a day, and, in any case, there are trillions of barrels of the stuff still in the ground, right?

Yet, in a simpler sense, it's not so unrealistic, because even if it will happen more gradually than laid out here, we will indeed run out of oil. Output has already peaked in the majority of countries. A handful of countries are still increasing production, but not enough to offset even bigger declines elsewhere.

There is lots of oil still in the ground (we've used about half of the planet's generous endowment), but while the end of oil may be many decades away, the beginning of the end is now.

It's not just at the drip of the final drop that the oil crisis begins. It is when production stagnates and begins its inexorable fall. That perilous moment, alas, is now. Our oil supplies are about to begin to fail us. As oil becomes more scarce, we have to get serious about finding new solutions to power our world.

We have time to plan - but not that much time. So far, we've done little to prepare for a world without oil.

WASHINGTON POST

Steve Hallett is an associate professor of botany at Purdue University. John Wright is the Latin America news editor for Energy News Today. They are the co-authors of Life Without Oil: Why We Must Shift to a New Energy Future.

Read more: