[Peakoil] ALP Peak Oil position Re: The latest Vote Climate analysis and flier

Alex Pollard alex-po at trevbus.org
Thu Nov 1 06:25:43 UTC 2007

The summary page gives the ALP a red cross against "Indentifies need to act
on issues of oil peak"

http://www.voteclimate.org.au/FED07-Policy-Analysis

However I received this on the ROEOZ email list, I don't know exactly where
it came from but it looks like the ALP does recognise Peak Oil:

"Federal Labor believes that better information is required regarding
future oil supplies to inform prudent planning.

For that reason Labor endorsed the first recommendation of the report
of the Senate Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Committee:
Australia's future oil supply and alternative transport fuels.

That Report recognised that there are concerns that we will soon reach
'peak oil' and recommended that Geoscience Australia, ABARE and
Treasury to assess the official estimates of future oil supply and the
'peak oil' arguments and report to the Government on the probabilities
and risks involved, comparing early mitigation scenarios with business
as usual.

A copy of the Senate report, released on 7 February 2007, is available
online at:
www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committee/rrat_ctte/oil_supply/report/index.htm
A Rudd Labor Government would carry out this assessment, allowing it
to properly plan to secure our future fuel supplies.

In addition, a Rudd Labor Government will include projections of
future liquid fuel supply and demand in a regular National Energy
Security Assessment to better inform industry and the community of the
nation's future energy outlook.

At a national level Australia is facing a profound shift in the source
of our liquid fuels. Unless significant new oil fields are found,
Australian domestic oil production could represent as little as 20 per
cent of our consumption by 2015. Importing such large amounts of oil
could leave Australia's economy heavily exposed to international oil
supply disruptions.

A Rudd Labor Government will encourage increased domestic oil
exploration, the development of gas-to-liquids projects that can
convert some of our vast gas resources into liquid fuels and coal to
liquids technologies that can produce synthetic diesel. Coal to
liquids technologies can include the capture and storage of carbon to
minimise the emission of greenhouse gases in the production of fuels.

Labor will also support the research and development of new bio fuel
technologies, including the production of ethanol from cellulose.

Labor considers energy security crucial to continued prosperity.
Having a diverse range of liquid fuels will help secure our economic
future."

Alex Pollard
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil