[Peakoil] What's Next Coal to Oil???

Adrian Whitehead zeroemissionsnow at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 15:03:23 EST 2006

Vic Greens are now support the continuation of the coal industry (See Vic
Green policy release below).

In light of the four corners program on the "A Team" and its infiltration of
the Vic ALP in a successful effort to support a cheep wood supply for
AMCOR's reflex paper, this amazing shift in policy raises questions as to
what is going on in the Victorian Greens and where they might go in the
future.

I have included there policy and a response to it I have written if you
interested.

By the way the Four Corners show is a must see for anyone interested in
countering the power of big business.

--
Adrian Whitehead
Beyond Zero Emissions

A retrofit for Loy Yang Power Stations means cleaner power for Victoria and
more jobs for the Latrobe Valley say the Greens

04-10-2006 The state's oldest and dirtiest power station at Hazelwood can be
closed down if the Latrobe Valley's Loy Yang power stations are retrofitted.
This will not only create cleaner, more efficient and environmentally
friendly power for Victoria, but also jobs for the Valley's community as
well.

"We must act to deal with climate change immediately," said Louis
Delacretaz, the Greens Energy spokesperson. "We can't dodge it."

"However, this does not mean we have to shut down the economy and live a
frugal life. On the contrary, action on climate change will help produce a
sustainable economy as well as skilled, long term jobs," said Louis
Delacretaz.

"Retrofitting the Loy Yang plants is a good example," said Louis Delacretaz.
"This is a $3 billion project that could cut the state's greenhouse
emissions and create skilled jobs. It will also add to the lifespan of the
state's newest, most powerful and cleanest coal-fired power stations."

Technological innovation know as "re-powering" can add coal
drying/gasification/gas turbine capacity to existing boilers and steam
turbines in power stations.

"Re-powering Loy Yang will increase the plants' output by 40 per cent," said
Louis Delacretaz. "This, along with other Green incentives to reduce
electricity demand by improving energy efficiency will allow Hazelwood to be
closed down - and Victoria to reduce our total greenhouse gas emissions by
15 per cent."

The Greens in state parliament after the November 25 will work to take real
action to reduce greenhouse gases. This will include the Loy Yang retrofit
project.

For more information and comment, please contact:
Louis Delacretaz on (mob) 0407 300 188
or
Dave Lane on (mob) 0419 156 213

Adrian's Response

It would seem that the Victorian greens have joined the coal industry in
promoting coal use as a solution to climate change and I'm sure John Howard
and his coal industry mates couldn't be happier.

When looking at the The Vic Greens recent opposition to the Bald Hills wind
farm and their new position on refitting Loy Yang coal power plant which is
so contrary to the Greens own policy at national level and even doesn't fit
well with the Victorian Greens own state policies,  you must wonder if a
similar type take over has been begun in the Vic Greens as was described in
the Four Corners analysis of the activities of the Amcor company in
maintaining the woodchipping of Victoria's forests for the production of
reflex paper.

The coal industry must realise Australia is the key battle ground for their
survival, for if Australia can shift from relying on coal for power and
export earnings then coal use could be stopped anywhere in the world

It is most disappointing that the actions of the Victorian Greens will be
used against those Greens who have been doing such a great job on promoting
a sustainable clean energy future, including Christine Milne, John Kaye, and
Lee Rhiannon, all who will be now faced with constant accusations of
supporting coal and not supporting wind power thanks to the Victorian
Greens.

Good luck to all those within the party in turning the Vic Greens around,
however given such a serious diversion from a nationally agreed policy in an
area that will dominate politics for decades to come, perhaps the Vic Green
should be expelled form the National Greens Body to allow those with a
genuine commitment to sustainable solutions to climate change to continue
their good work without being dragged down by those supporting the coal
industry within the Victorian Greens.

I light of all of this the founder of the "A Team" Derek Amos, may not have
needed to be disappoint about the legacy of his "A Team" work, when he said

"...I'm just sad that this model hasn't been taken up across Australia,
because it's one way of ensuring that workers, the employees, can get
involved in fighting for their jobs, their industry."

Maybe time will tell why the Vic Greens are choosing to oppose wind and
support coal?

Adrian

**