[Peakoil] Labor to remove tariff on hybrid cars

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Mon Oct 9 18:57:17 EST 2006

An interesting development, maybe Holden's Ecommodore will finally go into
production.

http://www.csiro.au/hannover/2001/catalog/projects/ECOmmodore.html

Hybrid cars are something of a stop-gap measure since they do nothing to
switch behaviour away from inherently inefficient private transport.

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil
http://act-peakoil.org

__________________________________
http://www.alp.org.au/media/1006/msloo040.php

Media Statement - 4th October 2006

A Beazley Labor Government will make existing alternative fuel vehicles such
as hybrid and flexi-fuel cars cheaper, by making them tariff-free, which
could cut up to $2000 off the price of typical hybrid cars.

I am determined to tackle the pain of high petrol prices felt by Middle
Australia.

At today’s NRMA fuels summit, I have also laid out Labor’s Green Car
Challenge to industry.

If the Australian car industry can put a competitive, value-for-money green
car on the road, a Federal Labor Government will put it in the Commonwealth
fleet - you build it, we’ll drive it.

The Labor Government I lead will work with the States and private fleets to
guarantee a market for Australian cars that meet cutting edge environmental
standards.

Labor will ensure taxes and charges on new cars encourage the use of green
cars – plus give city traffic and parking advantages for these vehicles.

When John Howard says there’s nothing he can do about high petrol prices,
remember this:

Petrol prices are higher than they should be because John Howard took us to
the wrong war in Iraq.
John Howard is siding with the big oil companies against the motorists of
middle Australia, by refusing to give the price watchdog some teeth.
And John Howard has no long term plan to give us independence from Middle
East oil.

My fuels Blueprint points the way forward - long term plans for the future
of the Australian fuels industry and for a modern, competitive economy..

Only Labor has a nation building plan for Australia’s future