[Peakoil] Senate inquiry submission

David Jorm david.jorm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 17:13:48 EST 2006

Executive Summary of Collapse and Diamond's work in general:

Geographic conditions to a great extent dictate the success or failure of a
human society, but the way that society deals with its crises make the
difference between long term success or failure.

The point to make, the way I see it, is that Australia is a very wealthy and
prosperous society, but this is no iron clad gauranetee of our long term
success. Equally prosperous societies have collapsed as a result of their
failure to respond to resource limitations properly. Population Dynamics
state that the approach to a physical resource limit take three forms.
First, sigmoid, or S shaped, where the growth in population, or in our case,
industrial activity, declines gradually as it approaches a stable level
permitted by the resource limitation. Obviously we have not done this in the
case of peak oil. Second, overshoot and oscillation, where the limit is
overshot slightly, a mini-collapse follows, but we eventually level out
around the level permitted by the limit. Finally, overshoot and collapse,
which is the worst case scenario we all fear with regards to peak oil.