[Peakoil] FW: Free TV gets a lesson in climate change

Adrian Whitehead ccserac.project1 at ecoaction.net.au
Tue Feb 28 17:26:38 EST 2006

[Campaign Officer] The forces of good triumph yet again!!!!

The ad is back on

…….

Free TV gets a lesson in climate change

Crikey reporter Sophie Black writes:

Free TV must have looked up the chapter on climate change in their science
textbooks since rejecting South Australian company SolarShop's ad last
Friday – the TV classification and approval body announced yesterday
afternoon that it would reinstate the ad in its entirety.

Commercials Advice (CAD), a branch of FreeTV, initially rejected the ad
scheduled for Adelaide TV (after first approving it) on the grounds that Dr
Tim Flannery's statement – "Climate Change is the greatest threat facing
humanity today” – was "problematic." But they've since decided that Flannery
has the authority to back up his claim.

"Whilst this has been unfortunate to say the least and damaging to the
SolarShop, which can ill afford to have its $50,000 TV campaign diluted like
this, what it has done is served a very positive purpose – it has raised the
focus of the average Australian on the seriousness of climate change," a
spokesperson for SolarShop told Crikey.

FreeTV's chief executive Julie Flynn told the SMH that "we have just cleared
the ads after strong representation from the advertiser that Dr Flannery is
an authority in his own right."

Greens Senator Christine Milne told Crikey: "The key thing here is that Free
TV is making a decision about what the public can hear in a political
context. Their level of ignorance on climate change is a concern, as is the
level of political intimidation in this country..."

"I find it absolutely bizarre that this is even a controversial matter when
the rest of the world is clear that climate change is the single most
important environmental issue," Member for Adelaide, Labor's Kate Ellis,
told Crikey, "meanwhile, we're arguing over what we can and can't say in an
ad."

Christal George
Corporate Ethics Researcher
Centre for Australian Ethical Research (CAER)
PO Box 229, Belconnen  ACT  2616
Ph: +61 2 6201 1957
Fax: + 61 2 6201 1987
E-mail: HYPERLINK "mailto:cgeorge at caer.org.au"cgeorge at caer.org.au
Web: HYPERLINK "http://www.caer.org.au"www.caer.org.au

IMPORTANT: This e-mail does not take into account your personal investment
objectives, financial situation or needs. It is important for you to
consider these matters thoroughly and you may wish to seek independent
advice from an accredited financial advisor.

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and for those to whom it
is addressed. It should not be reproduced or disseminated unless authorised.
Please tell me if you receive this message in error. CAER Pty Ltd accepts no
responsibility for the use of any attachments and/or corrupt files. The
contents and opinions expressed are not necessarily those of CAER Pty Ltd.