[Peakoil] Things to come

POLLARD,Sandy Sandy.POLLARD at dewr.gov.au
Tue Feb 28 15:57:36 EST 2006

Following Tony's comment below and this from Keith Thomas:

>That's odd. I have found that the complexity and controversy about
climate change causes most people to throw their hands up in despair at
ever understanding it. Peak oil is conceptually a comparative doddle.

True. I guess when I said 'more readily understands', what I should have
said is 'easier to engage in conversation about' - without needing a
preamble.

Also true about petrol prices and public concern, but (so far!) price
rises often seem to be attributed to gouging by oil companies in the
public perception.
Tony wrote:

> Governments will get kicked out when the price starts to ratchet up
quickly and continually - regardless of party.

...which is why it might benefit some (which?) party to apply that
classic principle of communications and bad news: "be first with the
worst".

Easier I suppose to do from opposition - and timing will be critical -
but imagine if a party said "right folks, we're afraid it's gonna get
real bad - and we're gonna have to bring in (insert nasty conservation
and rationing etc)"

...mightn't win them the next election, but might win them the one AFTER
if things go to hell in the meantime.

Yes - I know the Greens tried hard with these messages, especially in
the last NZ election.

 Sandy Pollard