[Peakoil] Syriana leafletting

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Thu Feb 23 09:56:05 EST 2006

Hi folks,

http://www.postcarbon.org/syriana

suggests handing out leaflets at the cinema, and that's what Leigh and I
did. It cannot have escaped the notice of Greater Union that Syriana is an
inherently political film about very important matters. The film poster
suggests people visit a website to engage on the issue. In addition to
going to a website in the US, people might also be interested in a Peak Oil
group in the ACT.

There is no comparison between blowing up buildings and handing out bits of
paper at the end of a film which would be attended by people with an
interest in current events. There is also no way in which merely querying
why we could not hand out bits of paper constitutes being abusive. In
politics people often react like political engagement is abuse,
particularly if they are responsible in some official capacity and feel
they have to keep politics from intruding. However ordinary cinema goers
were quite happy to take the leaflet. One man joked with me about wheat
sales and another wanted the leaflet in the car park, both having witnessed
the "abuse".

In retrospect it would have been better to hand out on the pavement at the
cinema exits but it was easier to do it as people left the theatre itself.

Previously Leigh and I have handed out leaflets at other events. We handed
out at the Jared Diamond talk with much success. I was briefly asked what
we were doing by someone who I believe was from the ANU. You can see there
is some level of paranoia here in our supposedly free society. In my
experience, organisations, no matter how supposedly tolerant of
intellectual debate, are always paranoid about these things. In a grass
roots campaign we need to leverage off the events which bring receptive
people together. I don't know if asking permission beforehand would get us
anywhere.

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil discussion list