[Peakoil] Syriana leafletting

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Thu Feb 23 14:19:36 EST 2006

On 23 Feb 2006, at 9:56 AM, Alex P wrote:

> In retrospect it would have been better to hand out on the pavement
> at the
> cinema exits but it was easier to do it as people left the theatre
> itself.

If you hand out leaflets inside the property of an organisation they
have every right to query what is going on especially if they didn't
know it was going to happen. They could easily jump to the conclusion
that it might be a rival cinema group or worse a group protesting
about the film. I would imagine that cinemas have experience with
controversial films where morals campaigners cause a stir. The might
even think that this film being set in the Middle East it could well
be Muslim extremists handing out leaflets :^)

It's best to tell them before hand what it is planned to do and seek
permission if you want to do it on their property. If possible put it
in a positive light. After all we approve of the film as it sets out
a very serious problem even though it is fiction.

The worst that can happen is that you are kept outside in a public
area. If they do call the police saying you are creating a
disturbance outside as long as you are not getting into heated
arguments and are very polite to the police you are probably OK. Best
not to be alone though.

My 2c worth.

Tony

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | http://tony-barry.emu.id.au