[Peakoil] Re: Formalisation of roles

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Fri Sep 9 20:13:02 EST 2005

Go for it, Leigh!  The amount of thought you have put into this augurs
well for the future of the group.  And - as I said - we can always
change a mission statement - it's not carved in stone.

> We still have nothing to say because we don't know the answers
> ourselves!

This is true only if you take the pre-peak assumption that for every
problem there is a solution. And we can guide people into understanding
the breadth and depth of the impact so they can 'join the dots' in a
way that fits in with their abilities and limitations. We can also
assure despairing new arrivals that the future is looking very
different, but could, eventually, be pretty good.

> One of the first campaigns we'll probably launch will be something of
> a "how do I develop a fossil fuel independance to ease the transition
> when it starts to really sting" kind of thing.

This is a good start.  Time to deal with it in detail later, but in the
meantime I would add that the biggest changes will not be on how
individuals use energy, but on their expectations for the future. Real
estate investments in outer suburbia is one example.  There are dollars
tied up in that, but also dreams. There'll still be some dollars, but
the dreams - esp those that had a fantasy component anyway - will be
dashed. The sheet we loaded at www.natsoc.org.au is designed to empower
people to prepare for a different society, not just less dependence on
fossil fuels.

Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com