[Peakoil] Re: Formalisation of roles

Leigh Kite lkite at tpg.com.au
Fri Sep 9 18:49:18 EST 2005

If anyone doesn't agree with all this, now is the time to sing up.  :)

To assist in understanding the thought process behind the mission
statement: -

The first draft didn't have the "environment" and "sustainability" wording
because the primary
thrust of members has been "Peak Oil within a framework of (environmental)
sustainability",
and we've identified the fact that "sustainability" opens up an entire can
of worms (eg the entire energy crisis, environmental destruction, a poor
system of economics, etc).

Regarding "public, political and corporate": -

In order to run campaigns, you need an "engagement strategy" produced by
public affairs/marketing lead, technical lead and strategic management.  We
haven't done this yet, but the entire target audience should fit
into these three categories: -

*    General public (the average, below average and above average Aussie
just living their lives);

*    Political (Federal, state, local);

*    Corporate (all business's and industry).

Regarding "raising awareness": -

The most strategic thing the ACTOAG can do for now is focus on raising
awareness of Peak Oil to the Australian people.

The reasons for this are: -

*    A high enough level of expertise and experience or seniority in
pertinent fields doesn't yet exist
      within the group for full scale political and corporate engagement;

*    There doesn't yet exist a high enough level of group cohesion and
organisation to consider
      complex and risky campaigns (such as aggressive political/industrial
engagement).

Most of us are in our earlyish 20's and don't have a great deal of
experience NGOing.  It wouldn't be a good idea to be in a position where we
find ourselves going head to head with senior economists and ministers only
to be blown out of the water.  We also don't want the advice we dispense to
the Australian
people too heavily criticised by various squeezers from the antidepletionist
camp and develop a bad reputation.

Regarding "welcome mats and new comers etc"...

Yes, we are going to help people out with ideas for what they can do and
give them support etc etc, but what Keith has said raises an important
issue: - We still have nothing to say because we don't know the answers
ourselves!

One of the first campaigns we'll probably launch will be something of a "how
do I develop a fossil fuel independance to ease the transition when it
starts to really sting" kind of thing.

When that ramps up, we can have a two paragraph mission statement with the
second bit saying something along the lines of "To assist the Australian
people with the transition by developing and presenting strategies for a
post carbon lifestyle" or whatever.