[Peakoil] Re: Formalisation of roles

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Thu Sep 8 20:35:10 EST 2005

I like this.  The marrying of 'sustainability' with 'environmental'
brings in the human, social aspect.

If I wanted to split hairs, I'd say that 'raising awareness' is pretty
hands off.  It implies that we don't see any role for the group in
advising people.  That's prudent.  However, when the statement sees the
group drawing out the implications for sustainability and the
environment, we are channelling our perspective to some extent; there
is implicitly a judgement on where priorities lie as we have gone
beyond mere awareness-raising.  I, for one, agree that we should do
this, I just want it to be openly understood at this stage (for
example, we have not mentioned the religious aspects, the aspect of
equity - thank goodness!).

I thought about the special reference to 'corporate'.  At first I
thought it was odd because it's originally a US term and, to me, it's
implied in the 'public, political'.  But then I remembered the film
many of us saw last year "The Corporation", so I'm happy to leave
'corporate' in the statement.

About the only thing that I see missing is that we will provide mutual
support.  Newcomers might come to us with questions, doubts, worries
and look to us first-up to help them put things in perspective and I'd
like to see that 'welcome mat' obvious to them when they first arrive.
Do you think we should include that role at the mission statement
level? It could quite easily go in an "about us" section of our
re-designed webpage - which I expect will be one consequence of these
deliberations.

Anyway, I'm content to go with what Leigh posted. His proposed
statement doesn't exclude our straying beyond our mission should the
need and the occasion arise, but it's a useful, practical,
easily-understood statement that will help newcomers understand our
role (what we do and what we don't do). And if we don't like the
statement in the future, well, we change it!

Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com