[Peakoil] The needs of global warming trump peak oil

Antony Broughton Barry antonybbarry at me.com
Thu Nov 12 12:07:18 EST 2015

> On 12 Nov 2015, at 11:05 am, Jenny Goldie <jenny.goldie at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> But we have to look at it even more holistically. How many people can the world support at a standard of living where their basic needs are supplied, given existing technologies, and without degrading the Earth and compromising the other species we share it with? Answer: Not as many as we have today and not nearly as many as the UN projections for 2050 ans 2100. Probably less than two billion even with the best of technology. We have to reduce population (as Japan is successfully doing), keep most of fossil fuels in the ground and work flat out to make the transition to a renewable economy.

I completely agree. Two billion tops. We either do it deliberately or the it will be thrust upon us the hard way in a horrific collapse from which a high level civilization may not reemerge seeing as most of the easily extracted rich mineral resources have been dissipated and mixed  into artifacts, scattered waste dumps, general pollution or dissolved into the oceans.

Tony