[Peakoil] Spam:*******, Re: Awash in Misinformation: America's Domestic Tight Oil 'Bump'

Paul Pollard pollard at netspeed.com.au
Mon Mar 25 15:12:10 EST 2013

Keith

An early response, from my reading, is that 'tight oil' is actually a good
description of oil that has to be 'fracked', or forced out of the shale in
which it lies, by pumping in fracturing, or fracking, liquid. In other words
it is pre-existing oil held tightly in the shale.

On the other hand, there is oil shale. This is shale which has to be mined,
then processed by heating in retorts, to manufacture oil. This is inherently
more expensive than tight oil. (Oil shale was mined and processed marginally
in Australia in the past, for instance at Newnes in the Blue Mountains up
until the 1940s. You can see the overgrown ruins of the retorts there today).

This manufactured product of oil shale is often called shale oil, which can be
confused with the pre-existing oil from shale extracted through fracking. That
is why tight oil is a useful term to distinguish the two.

Paul