[Peakoil] Awash in Misinformation: America's Domestic Tight Oil 'Bump'

Keith myrmecia at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 18:51:45 EST 2013

"Tight oil"? I don't know what tight oil is. Can someone enlighten me?

I read the entry on Wikipedia, and am helped a little, as I read there that it's oil extracted through the fracking process, but is not shale oil.

I understand tar sands, conventional petroleum and shale oil. What is this newcomer to the issue? What proportion of current US liquid petroleum production is presently tight oil and what proportion will it expand to at its peak?

Since I first became aware of the term about 6 months ago I assumed it was just a slick insider term for conventional liquid petroleum, but I can see that I was way off beam.
Keith Thomas
myrmecia at gmail.com
+44 74 2929 4146