[Peakoil] Demand for oil to grow 'for decades'

W & C Steensby steensby at netspeed.com.au
Mon Feb 27 15:59:36 UTC 2012

In my earlier message I hearked back to an earlier posting about a book. That was to a separate mailing list; getting muddled! This is what I was writing about:

Margaret Heffernan in her splendid book, "Wilful Blindness, or Why We Ignore the Obvious at Our Peril," describes a disturbingly long list of cases where people, institutions, corporations and governments simply cannot accept a proposition that runs contrary to what they believe or want to believe. (EVERYONE should read this book.) One sentence: "When we are wilfully blind, there is information we could know, and should know, but don't know because it makes us feel better not to know." (p330) Wilful blindness seems to be built into us all, but Heffernan is confident that we can learn to and do better.

Regards,
Walter