[Peakoil] Saudi crude can't replace Libyan

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 04:02:42 UTC 2011

Yes, but isn't jet fuel effectively a particularly pure kerosene?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avgas
That said, I think the difficulty in replacing the Libyan crude is the
"spare" Saudi capacity is in more sour crude, and the refineries expecting
Libyan sweet crude can't process it.
I gather there is some global supply chain re-jigging going on to supply
some of the sour crude to Asia in place of their usual light-sweet, as they
can refine it, leaving some of their Saudi Light Sweet available for Europe.
Note also that Ireland gets 23% of its oil from Libya (or rather, isn't
getting) and Italy sources 10% of its natural gas from a Libyan pipeline.
Regards,
Michael Skeggs