[Peakoil] Saudi crude can't replace Libyan

X ludlow at live.com.au
Tue Mar 1 10:06:51 UTC 2011

Dear Tony

By "energy density" I mean heat of combustion per unit mass of fuel. The following table (from Wiki) illustrates the general trend as you increase the length of a hydrocarbon chain.

 Fuel
Megajoule per kilogram (MJ per kg)

Methane
55.50

Ethane
51.90

Propane
50.35

Butane
49.50

Gasoline
47.30

Kerosene
46.20

Paraffin
46.00

Diesel
44.80

Coal (Anthracite)
27.00

Coal (Lignite)
15.00

Wood
15.00

Peat (dry)
15.00

Peat (damp)
6.00

Combustion of the short chain alkanes liberates relatively more energy per unit mass - which is critical when you are trying to get an aircraft off the ground.

Cheers