[Peakoil] New affordable electric car

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Tue Apr 5 21:32:01 UTC 2011

James Kunstler had this passing comment on electric cars on Monday this week:

".... The idea that we are going to ramp up an entire natural gas fueling system for America's tractor-trailer trucks is an absurdity.

"Ditto the notion that we are going to electrify the US auto fleet.

"Here's something to chew on: we run about 250 million cars in the USA. Let's say we ramped up an electric vehicle fleet of 10 million cars - which, by the way, is a purely hypothetical and wildly optimistic number. Do you think it might be a political problem if 10 million lucky Americans get to drive electric cars while everybody else either pays through the nose for gasoline, or can't even afford to own a car anymore? ....

"The reason for this obvious idiocy is that it's all about the cars. That's all we care about in the USA, the cars. We can't get over the cars. We can't talk about anything except how we'll find magical new ways to run all the cars. This is a very tragic sort of stupidity and if we don't change our thinking about it, from the highest level on down, history is going to treat us very cruelly."

Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com