[Peakoil] Electric cars

Jenny Goldie jgoldie at snowy.net.au
Tue Mar 31 04:00:52 UTC 2009

Electric car generates a real buzz
KUALA LUMPUR
31/03/2009 10:15:00 AM

Malaysia's national car maker, Proton, and a Dutch-based company will collaborate to make zero-emission electric cars, which its developer said yesterday would be more powerful than any existing model in its price range.

Detroit Electric, which owns the technology, and Proton were scheduled to sign a formal agreement yesterday to produce the sedan initially for Europe and the United States.

Detroit Electric chief executive Albert Lam said, ''Once people drive our car they will believe in our technology. They will understand it is an electric car of respectable quality.''

He said the four-door vehicles called Detroit Electric would roll out of Proton's factory by early next year.

The cars would be priced from $US23,000 ($A33,000).

If it succeeds, Detroit Electric would be among the first to mass-produce an electric car driven purely by a noiseless battery-powered motor, unlike hybrid engines that combine petrol engines and electric motors.

It will have a range of 240km on a full charge of eight to 10 hours and a top speed of 195km/h.