[Peakoil] Peak oil - happy reading

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Sat Mar 14 05:38:27 UTC 2009

Peak oil is just a particular manifestation of our dependence on energy
and the way we have been able to expand our population (this week the
UN told us there are 6.8 billion Homo sapiens crowding this planet
("Plague Species" as Reg Morrison calls us) - hey, might as well call
it 7 billion - and rising), but only through complexity and
globalization (which cheap energy makes possible), but this trend also
makes human civilization more vulnerable to not only a reduction in
energy, but what will hit us well before that: a reduction in available
energy per capita.

So, don't be distracted by the relatively low price of petrol at the
bowser or oil in the markets. Peak oil predicted fluctuations in oil
price when the peak was reached.

In the mean time I have just read a couple of peak oil novels. You can
see my reviews on Amazon.co.uk (through whom I bought my copies).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0752893270/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_4?
ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFourStar

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Retrieved-Future-John-Seymour/dp/1872410057/
ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237008248&sr=1-9

My review of a third peak oil novel, James Kunstler's "World Made By
Hand", is here:

http://www.natsoc.org.au/html/publications/Journal%2008-2_kunstler.html

Happy reading!