[Peakoil] [Peakoil-announce] new IEA report

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Sat Nov 15 18:23:22 UTC 2008

As well as the discussion referred to below (4735), see the
substantial, systems-based critique at:

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/4762

It really rips into neoclassical economics, and the 86 (and counting)
comments help to round out the critique.

If anyone still thinks there is any future for private transport (and
agriculture and food processing) fuelled by petroleum, electricity and
roads paved with petroleum (asphalt), they should sit down with this
article this weekend - but watch out for the eureka moment which will
hit like a whack on the side of the head.

The absence of any serious planning for depletion of energy resources,
just like our failure to take climate change seriously and our
hubristic refusal to think under any paradigm other than business as
usual, reminds me of the traditional Christmas pantomimes where the
audience can see the villain and screams warnings, but the hero
blithely continues on as if peril was impossible.
Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com
On 14/11/2008, at 10:23 AM, Ashleigh, Matt (DPS) wrote:

Hello all,

For those of you who have not yet heard, the new International Energy
Agency report, "World Energy Outlook 2008" has been released.

> From the executive summary:

The world's energy system is at a crossroads. Current global trends in
energy supply and consumption are patently unsustainable -
environmentally, economically, socially. But that can - and must - be
altered; there's still time to change the road we're on. It is not an
exaggeration to claim that the future of human prosperity depends on how
successfully we tackle the two central energy challenges facing us
today: securing the supply of reliable and affordable energy; and
effecting a rapid transformation to a low-carbon, efficient and
environmentally benign system of energy supply. What is needed is
nothing short of an energy revolution. This World Energy Outlook
demonstrates how that might be achieved through decisive policy action
and at what cost. It also describes the consequences of failure.

There is a great discussion taking place at TOD on this report.
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/4735

Best Regards
Matt

David Matthew Ashleigh