[Peakoil] Raising Peak Oil

Alex Pollard alex-po at trevbus.org
Fri May 16 03:42:42 UTC 2008

Hi Andrew,

As the website says "ACT Peak Oil Inc. exists to raise awareness and educate
about the peak of world oil production, its implications, and the options
for mitigation, within an environmental, economic and social context."

So we are mainly about raising awareness in general. Lobbying govt is part
of that, for what it's worth.

There are not many other groups out there pushing the envelope like we do.
eg We managed to raise fuel rationing in the mainstream press.

http://act-peakoil.org/node/74

There are many lobby groups out there aware of Peak Oil and now starting to
think it through. But few would be prepared to go out on a limb and make
dire predictions - they may not want their key messages to be harmed by
association with doom-and-gloom Peak Oil talk, or they may not be familiar
enough with oil depletion to be sure they know what they are talking about.

ACT Peak Oil is opening up previously unmentionable areas for discussion in
the public domain. Politicians and parties can then raise previously
verboten topics and not be laughed at. As the energy decline continues,
there will be an ongoing need to make informed contributions to public
debate, such as responding to proposed new non-solutions (eg fuel excise cuts).

We have email lists and events so that individuals can link up and find out
about meetings, events, community groups etc.. This helps to build the
community response.

So all in all I don't think it is so much about having a plan for ACT Peak
Oil, it has been more organic than that. We didn't plan to be witnesses at
the Senate oil inquiry in 2006, but we were invited. We have had some
successes raising Peak Oil. Suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Alex

O4O4873828

President