[Peakoil] Biodiesel in Canberra

leigh.kite at medicareaustralia.gov.au leigh.kite at medicareaustralia.gov.au
Fri Jan 19 09:09:22 EST 2007

I'm looking to make the switch to biodiesel this year too.  I think
somebody Alex and I met at a CIE thing once was running his ute on
biodiesel and filling up for about 50 cents a litre.

We'll have to get out there Anthony and see what we can find.  :)

Cheers,

Leigh

             Antony Barry
             <tony at tony-barry.
             emu.id.au>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  Peakoil Discussion
             peakoil-bounces+l         <peakoil at act-peakoil.org>
             eigh.kite=hic.gov                                          cc
             .au at act-peakoil.o
             rg                                                    Subject
                                       [Peakoil] Biodiesel in Canberra

             19/01/2007 08:24
             AM

Hi

My car is getting long in the tooth. It's a 1996 Mitsubishi Mirage.
With careful driving I can get 6l/100km around Canberra and 5.8 on
the highway.

I am thinking of replacing it. I'm tossing up between current choices
or waiting for the vehicles being released overseas to become
available in Australia.

One immediate option is a small diesel like the Polo but that choice
would be greatly favoured if biodiesel was available in Canberra as
I'm not excited by the idea of making my own. Does anybody know if it
is?

Ethanol appears to be loopy as the ERoEI is hopeless and current
production is based on food crops.

In the longer term my choice might be to scrap the idea of a private
vehicle for distance travel and look at an  electric vehicles for
travel round Canberra. I currently buy more green power (10kwh per
day) than I consume (8kwh).

I would also be looking at solar power using solar tracking
concentrators. Gold and Green energy <http://
www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/> are projecting that they would be
able to produce power competitive with grid prices.

So, has anybody seen biodiesel on sale in Canberra?

Tony

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au

NOTICE - This message is intended only for the use of the addressee named above and may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that you must not disseminate, copy or take any action based upon it. If you received this message in error please notify Medicare Australia immediately. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Medicare Australia.