[Peakoil] Ethanol EroEI

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Fri Jan 19 08:34:54 EST 2007

I though I'd check on the ERoEI of ethanol. My bad impression is
based on the use of wheat as the feed stock. Sugar cane looks much
better. You can ever use the residues to fuel the conversion process
and fuel power stations  on the side.

 From http://www.energybulletin.net/21064.html

> Ethanol yield (gallons/acre) for sugar cane under good tropical
> conditions is double that for corn. For all those reasons, sugar
> cane ethanol is seven times more energy efficient; its net energy,
> expressed as ERoEI, is 9:1 while corn ethanol has an ERoEI of only
> 1.3:1.

Tony

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au