[Peakoil] Kunstler on 2007

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Thu Jan 4 13:50:30 EST 2007

 From <http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/content/view/569/81/> with a
lot more there.

Oil ended 2006 roughly where it began, at just over $60 a barrel.
This reassured the public that all talk about Peak Oil was hysterical
blather from a lunatic fringe. It was reinforced by publication of
the mendacious Cambridge Energy Research Associates (CERA) report
issued this fall — a tragic document put out by a giant public
relations firm representing the oil industry — with the mission of
staving off windfall profits taxes and other regulatory moves that a
true resource emergency might recommend.

But beyond this debate, in the background, another ominous trend can
account for the stalling of oil prices in 2006 — totally unrecognized
by the public and ignored by the news media: prices on the oil
futures market leveled off because the Third World has effectively
dropped out of bidding for it — and using it. They cannot afford it
at $60-a-barrel. The Third World has entered an era of energy
destitution and it is manifesting in symptoms such as local resource
wars, genocides, falling life expectancies, and in many places a near-
total unraveling of the sociopolitical order. American mall-walkers
and theme park visitors are oblivious to this tragic process, but it
is perhaps the major reason why we are not now suffering from $100-
per-barrel (or greater) oil prices (with the consequent unraveling of
our sociopolitical and economic order).

The major trend on the oil scene the past 12 months is the apparent
inability of the world to lift total production above 85 million
barrels a day — with demand now rising above that line. It is unclear
how much more demand destruction will come out of the Third World
before bidding intensifies between the developed nations. One
commentator in particular, Dallas geologist Jeffrey Brown —a frequent
contributor on the web's best oil debate site, TheOilDrum.com — is
advancing the idea that we are entering an oil export crisis that
will presage a more general permanent world-wide oil emergency. Brown
holds that the major oil exporting nations are using so much of their
own product, because of rising populations, that their net exports
are falling at an alarming rate, perhaps as much as 9 percent
annually. This trend combines with general depletion rates now said
to be around 3 percent a year.

The question of total oil reserves around the world remains somewhat
murky, but Brown, Kenneth Deffeyes of Princeton, and others using a
straightforward mathematical model, have stated that the world is
roughly at the same point in all-time production as the Lower-48
United States was at in 1970, when America passed its all-time
production peak. We know for certain that three of the four super
giant oil fields (Daqing in China; Cantarell in Mexico; Burgan in
Kuwait) are past peak and there is plenty of evidence that the
greatest of them all, 50-year-old Ghawar in Saudi Arabia is not only
past peak but perhaps "crashing" into a super-steep decline.

Discovery of new oil to replace the production from declining fields
remains paltry. Chevron announced it's "Jack" discovery in the
deepwater Gulf of Mexico with great fanfare this year, but neither
conclusively demonstrated that all the wished-for oil was down there
(between 3 and 15 billion barrels, Chevron said) or that they could
get it out of there in a way that made sense economically, since the
oil was extraordinarily deep and difficult to lift up.

Meanwhile, companies developing tar sand production in Alberta
announced that their costs of production were rising substantially,
while a reckoning lay ahead as to how much of Canada's fast-
disappearing natural gas reserves will be squandered in melting tar.
The oil shale project is going nowhere. American corporate farmers
have entered into a racket with congress to subsidize ethanol
production from corn and biodiesel fuel from soybeans. The American
public remains ignorant of the tragic futility of this project, which
depends on oil-and-gas "inputs" to keep the crop yields up and
ultimately is a net energy "loser." As the world crosses into the
uncharted territory of "The Long Emergency," Americans will find
themselves having to chose between eating food and making fuel to
keep the car engines running.

The signal failure of public debate in this country is embodied in
our obsession with this particular theme — how to keep the cars
running by other means at all costs. Everybody from the greenest
enviros to the hoariest neoliberal free market pimps believe that
this is the only thing we need to worry about or talk about. The
truth, of course, is that we have to make other arrangements for
virtually all the major activities of everyday life — farming,
commerce, transport, settlement patterns — but we are so over-
invested in our suburban infrastructure that we cannot face this
reality.

The bottom line for oil in 2007: expect the bidding on the futures
markets to regain intensity between the US, China, Europe, and Japan.
A contracting US economy could take some demand out of the picture,
but the sad truth is that we burn up most of the oil we use in cars,
and American life is now so hopelessly based on incessant motoring
that citizens cannot even go down to the unemployment office without
driving. Geopolitical events can only make the oil supply situation
worse and probably will. (See ahead.)

We are probably also in the early stages of a natural gas crisis in
the US. Over the next decade, the gap between US demand for natural
gas and dwindling supply may amount to one-and-a-half times the
current equivalent of our oil imports. This is a staggering deficit.
Natural gas is used for heating in more than half the houses in the
US and accounts for just under 20 percent of our total electricity
production. Domestic supply is crashing. We are drilling as fast as
we can, with more and more rigs each year, just to to keep up. To
make matters worse, the means of gas delivery — through a vast web of
pipeline networks around the nation — makes "just-in-time" delivery
the norm and, tragically, also makes "just-in-time" pricing normal,
too. Thus, gas prices are responding only to the shortest-term
signals — for instance, unusually mild winter weather — rather than
to the catastrophic long-term reserve picture. Finally, we are
unlikely to solve our natural gas problems with imports for technical
reasons having to do with the cost and difficulty of moving the stuff
by means other than pipelines and for geopolitical reasons, namely
that most of the remaining gas in the world is in Asia. Bottom line:
we could enter a home heating and electricity production crisis
anytime. Massive price increases are likely to be required in order
to reduce demand to the level of available supplies. This will be one
of the major factors in the disabling of suburbia — which is to say,
normal American life.

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au