[Peakoil] Robert Wiblin has invited you to join Kiva.org!

Robert Wiblin do-not-reply at kiva.org
Sun Dec 23 07:09:19 UTC 2007

Hello!

If you're still looking for that elusive last minute Christmas gift that is really interesting, won't be wasted or undesired, and gives a hand-up to someone who really needs it you can't go past http://www.kiva.org. It lets you lend money to a small business in a developing country (you look through a list of businesses and choose) and read journal entries as the borrower pays your loan back. When the money is paid back (within a year) you can reinvest the money in another family trying to get ahead or transfer the money back to your bank account.

This 'microfinance' helps give the poor access to the same opportunities that we have to be productive in developed capitalist countries and provides a choice other than exploitative loan sharks.

Teach a man to fish and you can help feed him for a lifetime. Of course, if someone already knows how to fish but doesn't have a net, what they need is a short term loan through Kiva.org!

Have a great holiday break and New Year's everyone!

***

Find out more in this canned message:

I wanted to let you all know about a cool non-profit that is doing great things: Kiva.org

Kiva.org is a non-profit that allows you to make a small 0% loan to low income entrepreneurs in the developing world (microfinance). Individuals like you can help provide affordable working capital for the poor -- money to buy a sewing machine, livestock, etc. -- and empower them to earn their way out of poverty.

The way I see it, I get a higher return on $25 helping someone build a future than the interest my checking account pays.

Thanks for reading! And feel free to spread the word!!