[Peakoil] Reva electric car

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Fri Nov 24 15:49:14 EST 2006

I sent a copy of my letter to the Minister for Local Government,
territories and Roads and also the Minister for the Environment about
the Reva electric car to the list. I now have a reply date 18 nov. It
says in more detailed formthe things said by Senator Humphries in his
reply below.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "McNeill, Michael (Sen G. Humphries)"
> <Michael.Mcneill at aph.gov.au>
> Date: 13 November 2006 3:52:21 PM
> To: <tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au>
> Subject: Senator Humphries' response
>

> Dear Mr Barry,
>

> Thank you for your email of 19 October 2006 concerning the Reva
> electric car. I support the introduction of environmentally
> friendly vehicles for the reasons you outline. It has been
> estimated that 80 per cent of carbon dioxide in some Australian
> cities can be attributed to motor vehicles.
>
> Unfortunately, the facts have been overshadowed by recent political
> point-scoring. The facts are:
>
> ·       In November 2005, the Solar Shop in Adelaide gained
> approval to import one Reva electric vehicle from India, for 12
> months, on the strict condition that they test and evaluate it.
> This has not yet occured.
>
> ·       Subsequently, the Transport Minister has offered an
> extension to the import approval period and has offered to pay for
> the cost of testing the vehicle – offers that would not be normally
> made to a vehicle importer.
>
> With respect, I agree with the Minister for Roads' statement that
> "consumers are entitled to expect that a vehicle that looks and is
> controlled like a passenger car will comply with the same safety
> standards applicable to regular passenger cars".
>
> I too would like to see the availability of an electric car, but
> only after such a car has passed tests which confirm it poses no
> undue dangers to its passengers and other road users.
>

> Kind regards
>

> Gary Humphries
> Senator for the ACT

Tony

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au