[Peakoil] Tom Waring

Christal George cgeorge at caer.org.au
Fri Jun 30 16:29:00 EST 2006

News stories to back up that people are cutting back on cars, (1) Fuel prices change habits, The Age, and (2) Bicycles outsell cars in Australia again.
Cheers
Christal

(1) Fuel prices change habits
Andra Jackson, The Age
June 20, 2006
HIGHER petrol prices are forcing motorists to use their cars less and cut back other spending so they can afford to fill their tanks.
As the average price of petrol sat at $1.38 a litre at Melbourne's suburban pumps yesterday, an ACNielsen/ Age poll found that almost half those surveyed are using their cars less because of the high prices.
In the national poll of 1425 respondents, conducted from June 15 to 17, 46 per cent said they were using their cars less, 40 per cent had reduced spending on other things and 38 per cent were thinking about switching to a more fuel-efficient car.
The survey, which coincides with the annual exodus of retired holiday-makers heading north, also found 19 per cent of those surveyed have changed their holiday plans as petrol prices eat into travel budgets.
Swan Hill Caravan Park owner Judy Dowell says travellers are planning shorter trips this year. "They are saying they won't travel quite as far … and that they have got to budget more. Maybe they will go out less while travelling because of their extra road costs."
Bookings at her 75-site park were not noticeably down, "but I think they will drop because they are all saying it is getting too expensive," she said.
At the Murray Bank Holiday Units proprietor Jenny expected bookings would drop if the price of petrol kept rising.
The pump price for super in Swan Hill yesterday was $1.42.
RACV government spokesman David Cumming said the motorists' group was waiting for reports from tourism bodies to assess the impact of higher petrol prices on school holiday travel.
"But the cost will be dramatically increased compared to 12 months ago," he said. "Just in the city, the cost of filling a tank has gone up $20 a week."
At Swan Hill Caravan Hire and Sales, Mrs Dowell's brother-in-law Ken Dowell said he believed customers were already cutting back.
"My hire is down 50 per cent on last year. The interest is just not there," he said.
He blames the impact of petrol prices, the drought and the lure of cheap airline holiday packages — such as the $99 one-way fare to fly to Queensland's Airlie Beach.
For those dreaming of travel, one option might be a holiday closer to home. A Tourism Victoria spokeswoman said hits on the organisation's website had increased by 40 per cent each month this year.

(2) Bicycles outsell cars in Australia again:
From:
http://stcwa.org.au/journal/260206/1140325055_32064.html

Australians bought more bicycles than motor vehicles in 2005, according to official figures released by the motor and bicycle industries. Bicycle sales in Australia topped 1.1 million for the fourth straight year of million-plus sales.

The Cycling Promotion Fund (CPF), Australia's peak bicycle promotional body, said bike sales for 2005 ended up 13 per cent ahead of the motor vehicles total of 988,269 - the sixth year that bikes had outsold cars.

CPF program director Rosemarie Speidel said the massive rate at which Australians bought bicycles reflected the ever-increasing popularity of cycling as a form of recreation, sport and transport. "Cycling is Australia's fourth most popular physical activity after walking, aerobics and swimming - and ahead of golf," she said.

"The Exercise Recreation and Sport Survey (ERASS) conducted by the federal and state governments shows that participation in cycling grew by 15.3% from 2001 to 2004. " By contrast, tennis declined 4.2%, netball declined 7.9% and golf remained stagnant. "We are seeing more and more people riding bikes for recreation, sport as well as everyday transport, which has to be a good thing for the health of a country where obesity is a major health concern.

"There has also been huge growth in cycling events and bicycle tourism, which helps to boost regional economies with the influx of competitors, spectators and tourists."
Ms Speidel said feedback from the bicycle industry indicated that the strong sales covered everything from everyday recreational bikes right through to high-end road and competition bicycles.

Year Motor vehicles * Bicycles ** Bikes' lead 2000 787,100 926,924 +17%
2001 772,681 774,938 +0.3 %
2002 824,309 1,109,736 +34 %
2003 909,811 1,003,844 +10 %
2004 955,229 1,247,981 +30 %
2005 988,269 1,120,337*** +13 %

    * VFACTS figures. ** Australian Customs figures. *** End-of-year