[Peakoil] FW: Work begins on Arctic seed vault

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Tue Jun 20 19:38:06 EST 2006

On 20/06/2006, at 3:19 PM, Adrian Whitehead wrote:

> [...]

Many community groups, eg permaculture, have been forming seed banks
over the past 30 years although not all in such 'cool' locations. Low
humidity is often also critical eg some of the wheat stored in the
tombs of Egypt for 3000 years was viable. We also have a lot of germ
plasm (DNA, embryos) stored by freeze drying but not sure how long the
liquid nitrogen will last or be re-supplied.

Perhaps if we had preserved our soils and climates then bio-diversity
could continue to be stored and evolve in replicating natural systems
rather than in such doomsday repositories. Also if climate change slows
the thermohalocline how far will Spitzbergen be under ice should we
need to access the reserves?

Keith