[Peakoil] Four corners

Shane S void_genesis at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 11 10:31:32 EST 2006

Hey everyone

I agree that discussing solar, wind, climate change and conservation would
have been good, but with the limited time frame I think they were wise to
thoroughly explore just the central issue of why petrol prices are high
right now. Most people are so absolutely clueless and disinterested in this
(beyond the point of simply demonising one obvious party) that this is where
the debate in the mainstream has to start.

Leaving out any mention of a grab bag of possible "green" techno-fixes also
helps avoid giving the impression that we have lots of choices about
replacing our current rate of energy consumption.

The more immediate issues are in my opinion related to our unsustainable
economic situation, with real estate overvaluation, personal debt,
stagnating wages, incipient inflation, offshoring of jobs etc all ready to
combine with the fundamental problems of energy prices.

Shane