[Peakoil] prof Marc Jaccard says fossil fuels have a promising future

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Thu Jul 6 21:50:42 EST 2006

The following was broadcast on Radio National this evening (Thursday 6
July). he is very confident about 'clean coal'.
Is our relationship to fossil fuels Faustian? Like the Dr. Faustus of
old, have we made a compact with the devil - who today offers us oil,
natural gas and coal for our modern convenience, but who one day will
collect our souls as payment?

Many people believe this.

We depend on fossil fuels for 85% of global energy supply, and yet
consume this non-renewable lifeblood at a tremendous rate. Surely our
civilization will crash as we hit the wall of resource exhaustion. No
wonder bookstores are flooded with titles like, "the coming crisis" and
"the party's over."

Ironically, others fear we won't run out fast enough. For in burning
fossil fuels we emit carbon dioxide, the principal greenhouse gas that
is accumulating in our atmosphere and changing the climate. Scientists
estimate that concentrations will reach dangerous levels in just a few
decades, long before we might exhaust our fossil fuels.

But, is this Dr. Faustus picture accurate? Are fossil fuels our
inevitable foe?

Those who argue that fossil fuel exhaustion is imminent make the
mistake of focusing only on conventional oil - the stuff that we
extract from the earth just by drilling a hole and letting natural
pressure push it out. What they overlook is that a peak in the
production of "conventional oil" is unlikely to be of significance
given the substitution potential from the planet's enormous resources
of unconventional oil, unconventional natural gas, and coal. A refined
petroleum product like gasoline, for example, can be profitably
produced from any of these other fossil fuels when the oil price is
above $40 per barrel - currently it's above $70. This is why gasoline
today is produced from oil sands in Canada, that's one form of
unconventional oil, from natural gas in Qatar, and from coal in South
Africa. The planet has 1000 years of coal at today's use rate and an
even longer horizon for unconventional resources like gas hydrates -
frozen clumps of water and methane on the ocean floor. Energy prices
will not always be low and stable, but we should not assume that
periods of high prices signal the imminent demise of our still
plentiful fossil fuels.

Those who argue that we must banish fossil fuels to prevent global
warming make the mistake of assuming that carbon dioxide emissions are
an inevitable consequence of getting energy from fossil fuels. They are
not. And the leading candidates for emission prevention involve
technologies and processes that have been used in different industries
for decades.

Fossil fuels can be converted into non-emitting energy like electricity
and hydrogen using conversion processes that capture carbon dioxide.
One method involves heating and chemically reacting fossil fuels with
steam to produce a gas mixture of hydrogen and carbon dioxide. Once
captured carbon dioxide can be injected into depleted oil reservoirs, a
decades-old activity to increase oil recovery. Or, it can be injected
into deep saline aquifers that could hold all of the carbon in our
planet's fossil fuels. Both of these storage methods have been
commercially applied.

But zero-emission energy from fossil fuels will not develop without
policies that prohibit or financially penalize us for using the
atmosphere as a free waste receptacle. This is because the wide-scale
addition of capture and storage devices will increase energy costs,
although not dramatically. The International Energy Agency estimates
that zero-emission electricity from coal, for example, would increase
the cost of production by 25 to 50% over the 50 years or so it would
take to convert the global electricity system. This means a price
increase of less than 1% a year.

Motivating this technological transition over the next few decades
without wreaking economic havoc requires either a gradually rising
greenhouse gas tax or a gradually tightening regulatory constraint - a
policy approach that allows industry time to develop and market new
technologies and gives society time to acquire these at the normal
investment pace for infrastructure, buildings and equipment.

Fossil fuels are still plentiful and indeed might be our cheapest
option for quickly reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the global
energy system. If can see beyond our Dr. Faustus fears, we might
actually come to the surprising conclusion that fossil fuels are a
friend rather than a foe.

Guests

Mark Jaccard
Professor of Resource and Environmental Management Simon Fraser
University Vancouver

Publications

  Title: Sustainable Fossil Fuels: The Unusual Suspect in the Quest for
Clean and Enduring Energy
  Author : Mark Jaccard
  Publisher: Cambridge University Press
ISBN 0 521 67979 6