[Peakoil] Nigeria and Iran push oil price higher

POLLARD,Sandy Sandy.POLLARD at dewr.gov.au
Fri Jan 20 11:39:46 EST 2006

Thanks, Jenny! Some comments on context:

My understanding is that Iran is the (world) 4th largest oil 'producer'
(2nd biggest OPEC), Nigeria the (world) 8th.

>Oil analysts say cutbacks in Nigeria will hurt the market badly because
the country produces light sweet crude, which is particularly coveted by
refineries.

SP: This is getting particularly important because it appears that the
'sweet light crude' crude oil sub-category peaked during 2004, and (of
course!) is now in decline. Construction of more refinery capacity to
handle the sour (more sulphur) oils takes time and much investment.

>Traders were also monitoring the escalating crisis over Iran as Tehran
warned the West that UN sanctions over its controversial nuclear
programme could provoke a world oil crisis.

SP: This is true. Katrina took out 2 Mb/day out of US production, and
there had to be a concerted IEA effort to move product (esp refined
product) from reserves around the globe. It was around this time that
Adelaide nearly ran out of petrol, apparently because of tanker
diversions.

Even apart from this though, the US has a dilemma. See:

http://www.energybulletin.net/7707.html .

..and:
http://www.energybulletin.net/12125.html

Sandy Pollard