[Peakoil] 78% favour renewables (in UK)

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Wed Jan 18 11:10:06 EST 2006

On 17 Jan 2006, at 9:27 PM, Keith Thomas wrote:

> It would be nice to think that democracy in mass society would come
> up with the best solution. That works OK for traditional politics,
> but not for peak oil and climate change. It matters not a whit what
> the majority - or even ALL - the people say or favour.

Politically it DOES matter what a large majority thinks. A government
which ignores strong public opinion risks being kicked out and it's
actions negated. Governments can lead but it's risky. The present
Commonwealth Government has taken a risk with Iraq, Telstra and
industrial relations presumably because it thought the majority
opinion was wrong and people would come round to their way of thinking.

We want the government to take action to steer us away from the
disaster which peak oil will bring. To do so we need to bring more
people to the view that this is a problem which must be faced urgently.

Decisions such as the Gungahlin Drive Extension might not have been
made if the likely future of fuel supplies was considered.

At least Canberra planning now looks to be trying to keep development
closer and cutting back on continual sprawl.

Tony

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | http://tony-barry.emu.id.au