[Peakoil] Important Announcement

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Tue Feb 28 15:47:34 EST 2006

On 27 Feb 2006, at 10:13 PM, Keith Thomas wrote:

> Traditional social structures (committees, constitution, minutes)
> are in danger of bogging you down and hampering you. You'll have a
> meeting and believe you have done something (that's a sure sign the
> rot has set in :-).

I agree. It's something that has to be watched.

> There are good reasons for incorporating ACT Peak Oil. But all
> these are predicated upon 'business as usual'. One thing we know is
> that there won't be business as usual for more than about four
> years. If you slot in with the reality-denying mainstream then
> you'll get results that match.

> However, if there was a peak oil / climate change action committee
> (the emphasis on action) with a community mandate to provide
> solutions (think up, build and run - without the debilitating
> requirement for consultation) for communities to weather PO and
> climate change, that would be better.

Initially I would favour political and awareness work while there is
"business as usual" so that more people will realize that it won't
be. We need to change the mainstream. Not that I think that how to
survive at an individual and community level should be neglected. My
ninth grandchild is due next month.

> Remember the magnificent, rule-breaking mobilization to deal with
> Cyclone Tracey?

It was POLITICAL action which did this but then the government was
one which was prepared to take risks which was one of the elements in
their downfall. Oddly enough I've got to have a grudging respect for
the present Government's (which I detest) willingness to take high
risk actions. Gun control, Timor, Iraq, GST and industrial relation
could, or can still, lose them office. The people to get at are
Nelson, Turnbull, Costello and all of the Nationals. The latter have
the most to lose and conversely the most to gain as global warming
belts agriculture, demands for biofuels increase and people stream
out of major cities into the county.

Tony

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | http://tony-barry.emu.id.au