[Peakoil] News items from Canberra Times Sat, 19 Aug 2006

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Sun Aug 20 20:44:08 EST 2006

Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com
On 20/08/2006, at 1:17 PM, Antony Barry wrote:

> "Lake reclaimed under plan: by John Thistleton p.11
>
> More discussion of the details of the "Griffin Legacy Plan".
>
> Comment: Roads by no mass transit. When peak oil his how are people
> going to get to all these facilities??

For the early post-peak period, the inner city will be the place to
live as there are no commuting costs ($s and time). The plan envisages
more high-rise living in our "CBD", so it makes sense in this respect.
Further after the peak the inner cities will become slums

> _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.
>

> Online shopping nets more regional customers" p.21
>
> Long distance travel, high regional prices and the price of petrol are
> leading more regional Australians to shop online.
>
> http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=123269
>
> Comment: And when petrol prices double or triple, lower rainfall and
> higher temperature do we start to close our regional cities? Will
> there be ghost towns?
Isn't it amazing that people will buy on line, even when it is often
significantly cheaper to buy at a shop or place a special order at a
shop. Deliveries are often made when working people are out and so
there is further inconvenience in visiting the post office or the
courier dept.

This is what Jay Hanson said: The act of getting stuff makes us feel
good. It’s not having it, it’s getting it. that’s why we never feel we
have enough. We never get enough, because it is the act of getting that
feels good. That’s biology.

Jay Hanson
  Interview 21 June 2003

http://www.natsoc.org.au/html/publications/Journal%2006-4_Quotes.html

Hanson has been writing about peak oil for over a decade.

> "Let's use cars less" Letters p.B6
>
> Jane McEwen writes More people using public transport, cycling and
> walking means less traffic congestion. Instead of subsidising LPG
> conversions we should be spending it to encourage walking and cycling.

Yes. this one puzzled me. I couldn't work out what sort of
"encouragement" she meant. "Encouragement" is usually a weasel word
meaning more expenditure of other people's money, but I don't think she
meant that.