[Peakoil] $70 a barrel

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Mon Apr 17 15:55:37 EST 2006

Interestingly, this is the highest Brent Crude has been.

You can track Brent Crude and West Texas Intermediate Crude on this BBC
site:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/
commodities/28696/twelve_month.stm

Note that you can call up graphs for the past month, three months and
12 months.

If you think that's scary, look at where copper has gone over the past
12 months:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/
commodities/11701/twelve_month.stm

Think how important copper is in alternative energy generation,
transmission and use. We so depend upon cheap oil to extract copper. In
the ancient Bronze Age, copper ore was mined with 3% concentrations.
Now it's down to one hundredth that - so we can't go back to the Bronze
Age!

Then look at zinc:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/
commodities/11648/twelve_month.stm

Same thing. Tin, gold, aluminium, too

For the best summary of the causes of these parallel rises and a look
into possible futures, see William Catton's book "Overshoot".
Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com