[Peakoil] Re: Letterboxing may have an impact now

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Tue Sep 13 20:32:32 EST 2005

> Further to my point this came from a discussion on a Victorian forest
> list
> about messaging on issues.
>
> "At a recent workshop I attended, it was shown that the percent of the
> population that can easily understand the information the Greens
> produce is
> about 2%! It's pitched at the intellectuals, not the taxi drivers and
> factory worker. There's too many big words and lengthy sentences. We're
> talking about busy people who aren't necessarily wanting to know about
> environmental issues, have no deep concern and don't want a lesson in
> ecology. So too much complexity turns them off. Media workshops I've
> been to
> and experienced media people say the same. It's got to be ridiculously
> simple. Unfortunately we can't get 1000 word articles in the Herald
> Sun each
> week. Not that many would read them anyway."
>

> Adrian

No problem with this.  We would be dreaming if we thought one pamphlet,
one DVD, one meeting, one web page would be the silver bullet or the
killer app. At this stage, best a variety of approaches, each pursued
by those who are committed to them. If I were younger, I'd be aiming at
younger people. As it is, I know the people to whom my sheet was
directed are those who prefer to read hard copy and who have the time
and the preference to sit down and read a few pages. These people read
serious books.  They are definitely not the '10 second media grab'
types.

I wonder if things that are "ridiculously simple" just get processed
along the same mental pathways as other things that are both
ridiculously simple and ridiculously inconsequential.  I don't know;
it's just a thought.

When I letterbox with my sheet I wrap it around with 60mm wide coloured
banner which I described here yesterday. That's for when I'm
distributing the sheet indiscriminately.

The people described in the quote Adrian gave us might be better swayed
by face-to-face discussion.  At the same time, in my discussions with
people who may fit this profile, I find many who are actually
thoughtful and very intelligent. It doesn't do any good to patronise
them.

Keith