[Peakoil] Fwd: [roeoz] ***ALL CLEAR TO ANNOUNCE ASPO AUSTRALIA***

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Tue Sep 13 00:09:41 EST 2005

An Australian Peak Oil group is being formed to give Peak Oil the profile
and academic credibility it deserves. It will not however be a campaigning
body, unlike the city-based groups such as act-peakoil.org.

There are proposals below for web-hosting options and so forth, see what
you think

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil discussion list
http://act-peakoil.org

------------- Forwarded message follows -------------

***ASPO AUSTRALIA***
ASPO OZ will have the ACADEMIC credibility to help "convert" Aussies if
they are
intellectually inclined. It will be formerly launched in November when
Kjell Aleklett visits
Australia for the launch and some other presentations.  ASPO will be in
WA
 so logistical
issues relating to distance can be overcome using the internet, phone, and
mailing DVD's
and any other resources that they will be no doubt accumulating.

***SBS DOCUMENTARY***
The other exciting news is that Rowan from SPO has verbal authority with
his producer at
SBS for a PEAK OIL DOCUMENTARY focussing on the facts of peak oil, and the
formation of
ASPO. ASPO was the final draw card that convinced him. So as long as SBS
upper
management approve the funds, November could see an SBS documentary coming
out.

***LIMITATIONS OF ASPO***
However, as Bruce Robinson said, it will be partly government funded. Even
he
acknowledges the need for other CAMPAIGNING bodies to "tell it like it is"
on other peak
oil issues. ASPO will mainly concentrate on some of the facts of oil
depletion and begin to
touch on the consequences... but as you know, a government-sponsored body
is hardly
going to have the freedom to advocate Lifeboats as the only answer, if
your personal "Mad
Max Index" is really high. ASPO will have to deal more in the academic
credibility of oil
depletion and emphasise the normal solutions such as increased public
transport etc.

Population growth, global warming, environmental degradation, other
resource depletion,
money systems
 many of these other important peak oil subjects could fall
through the
cracks. That is where the city groups come in.

***GENEROUS OFFER***
Ian McPherson has offered to set up a state by state citypeakoil.com forum
list to
encourage local groups to form. We love our software! It makes following
individual
threads and whole SUBJECTS more interesting. IE: If you are done
discussing alternative
energy to death
 don't go into that forum. If you don't want to read
personal news, don't
go into that forum. If you mainly want to concentrate on what's happening
with
campaigning news
 then go into that forum!

This is the great phpBB software that peakoil.com uses. Check out
Sydneypeakoil.com and
how it works.

Ian would buy the website names
 brisbanepeakoil.com,
melbournepeakoil.com,
adelaidepeakoil.com, etc (maybe we don't need to do perth as STC and ASPO
will already
be over there), Ian would give them some unique city based logo and
design
 and we'd
be away.

Also, in case Yahoo decided to charge for groups (as per the recent
meetup.com
catastrophe) we could even consider setting up peakoilaustralia.com or
(australiapeakoil.com) and get you all to use this great software! It
REALLY makes
following threads easier, Mike can appoint other moderators to help
monitor various
forums, etc. EG: I'm set up as a moderator in the peak oil forum of
theenvironmentsite.org
website I was talking about a while back. I'm not a moderator in ANY other
forum. Within
that forum they have one thread that examines the price of oil
 that's ALL
it does.

Why should we all move across to branded website names and the phpBB
software?
1/ Consistent branding across Australia
2/ Ease of use, attractiveness.
3/ australiapeakoil.com will be tidied up, and a NATIONAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
forum can
be set up for special CAMPAIGN announcements. EG: National letters
campaign on
something specific, a day of protest, a ROEOZ (ozpeakoil.com) movie, etc.
4/ The software really encourages tidy posting. It's just SO much easier
than an email
format chatroom like ROEOZ where you subscribe to every single email and
get email
overload. You can subscribe to various threads if you want
 or just browse
your favourite
forums online in an attractive website format.
Just browse www.sydneypeakoil.com for a bit.
5/ The city groups would be about campaigning in that city to the local
residents and to
the local & state governments, harnessing the energy of people who meet
each other and
become friends. IE: We'd get something DONE!

What do you all think? Shall we get Ian to do it? He doesn't think it
would cost too much
more than $100 to go ahead and register the names, and he already has
server space to
burn.

Will we get him to set it all up so that each state has it's own
citypeakoil.com format?

What do you think about getting Ian to set up Australiapeakoil.com and
leaving this rather
untidy list? (I'm sorry if that offends anyone but I hold loyalty to peak
oil, not Yahoo

especially as they use courier font and line breaks get all messy! You get
to add smileys
and bold fonts and all sorts of cool visual communicators in our
sydneypeakoil.com
software.)

We are not trying to usurp Mike's position in ROEOZ
 he would still be
administrator at
australiapeakoil.com. We just sincerely want to facilitate this news
getting out as soon as
possible.

Sorry this idea didn't spring up before you logged into google groups for
Melbourne peak
oil Sheila. This software makes delegating other moderators SO much
easier, and i think
you will find it much, much more professional looking. Better to just move
everyone across
now, don't you think?

I hope I have not offended anyone. Please consider! (Oh no, that was a
Mistubishi add once
wasn't it?  ;-)

DonorsChoose.org helps at-risk students succeed. Fund a student project
today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O4u7KD/FpQLAA/E2hLAA/6bTolB/TM