[Peakoil] "It will be worse than the drought"

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Sun Sep 11 07:37:29 EST 2005

The Canberra Times (in its guise as the Sunday Times) has the headline
today "It will be worse than the drought: How petrol prices are
threatening life as we know it".

The articles under the headlines focus on the string of towns between
Canberra and the holiday coast, predicting $1.70 litre by Christmas and
printing quotes like:

"It's not just tourism operators - no matter what business you're in,
everyone is suffering."

"People are going broke ... some businesses will go under."

The boosters are there, too, of course, and their words are worth
studying.  The south coast mayor is clutching bravely at straws:

"This area has one of the highest rates of population growth of all
[local government areas] in the country and we are anticipating much
more growth in the next 15 years." The reporter interpolates: Mr Hede
(the mayor) said that despite rising fuel prices, the region was
attracting enormous interest from commercial developers including
Woolworths and Coles. "I'm sure they've done their homework and have
factored prices into business models". He hopes!

Others back here in Canberra are predicting the stay-at-homes here will
boost consumer spending in Canberra, but the ACT Tourism chief
executive was less optimistic: "We need other people to come here. More
locals won't help our cause, it just circulates dollars around the ACT
economy and doesn't attract interstate dollars."

It is my guess that almost everyone who has booked their holiday
accommodation will still make their pilgrimage to the coast, but will
spend more money on fuel and less on everything else, including driving
around the coast, so that Canberra loses, the small towns along the way
lose and the tourism-related businesses on the coast lose.  The oil
companies will be the only gainers + the people who don't get involved
in motor accidents with (a) less driving and (b) slower, fuel-saving
driving .

The story is opening the lid on peak oil.

I'll letterbox today.