[Peakoil] Re: Meeting outcome: Talking to schools

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Thu Sep 8 04:41:49 EST 2005

On the positive side, most year 11 and 12 groups have people from
outside the teacher/student body come in and talk to the students about
issues of public concern. Some of these are short of speakers, and it
shouldn't be hard to get an invitation to address individual classes.

On the downside, a professor at the ANU tells me he has learnt not to
reveal to first year students the extent of the environmental threat as
this can lead to disempowerment and despair.  If we paint too grim a
picture, some students (who may be already depressed or in difficulty
in their private lives) may even be motivated to suicide.  This is
unlikely, but it's a risk that anyone addressing teenagers should bear
in mind.  As well as being a personal/family/school tragedy, such an
event would have massive negative blow-back on this group.

The response to the Peak Oil Sheet for Australians that we posted at
www.natsoc.org.au has been of three kinds: 1. amazement with thanks for
bring it to their attention; 2. criticism for being 'doom-and-gloom';
3. criticism for making light of the breadth, depth and longevity of
peak oil. I am pleased we took a relatively gentle approach with our
sheet as it gets the message across powerfully enough, leaving the
imaginative reader to draw the stronger conclusions for themselves, in
their own lives.
Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com