[Peakoil] Re: Wealth preservation and land

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Sun Sep 4 18:26:24 EST 2005

On 04/09/2005, at 5:24 PM, Leigh Kite wrote:

> The only thing I'm worried about is how to plan for my old age.  At
> some stage I'll be too old to labour effectively on a farm or
> whatever, I hope society won't have degenerated to the point where old
> people are managed Eskimo style.

Planning for your old age is simple.  Simple, but not necessarily easy.
It's the same as planning for the best of the present.  Make yourself a
valued, respected, trusted member of your community. The coming Long
Emergency will give us plenty of opportunities to earn a few Brownie
points.  In doing this you'll be working to become a treasurehouse of
knowledge, skills, techniques and even wisdom. You'll be able to
contribute as a teacher, counsellor and adviser even when you can't
exert as much muscle-power as you once could.  In the years immediately
after losing youthful fitness, you'll be able to contribute with
lighter chores and - especially - child-minding.  Read up on the
'grandmother hypothesis' for more info.  Older people were valued in
earlier civilizations and we can create a society which does this
providing we are prepared to drop our Western version of
extra-individualism, intolerance of difference, infidelity (of all
kinds) and 'right' to speak our mind at all times (that'll be tough!).
If Alzheimers kicks in, I hope someone disposes of me early and
painlessly!

Prepare yourself mentally, psychologically (and spiritually, if that's
your way) and emotionally for the future so you are in a position to
begin contributing for the rest of your life to the comfort and
well-being of others in your group/community. Being actively involved
in this list is a start - we are all preparing ourselves mentally to
some extent. I am learning what others find in my nature that upsets or
repels them so I can change, effectively and with humility, in ways
that may be uncomfortable.

Daniel Quinn's book Beyond Civilization is a good jumping-off point to
explore future possibilities.  His other books less indirectly (but
even more powerfully) fire the imagination about possibilities.  Quinn
makes the important point that we should not assume that the best path
to the future is to mimic the successful ways of the past.  We can draw
on the ideas of the past but, as we will have had personal biographies
very different from those who created past societies, we can't go back,
only forward.  Looks exciting!  It seems to me that dealing with peak
oil on the assumption that we can continue pretty much as we are but
with an energy source that will replace oil is a dead end strategy. My
own view is that none of us around today will see the end of the
consequences of peak oil and climate change in our lifetimes, but in
four or five generations the humans on this planet will be - generally
- happier and living more in harmony with (what's left of) their
environment that we are today.