[Peakoil] Wealth preservation and land

Leigh Kite lkite at tpg.com.au
Sun Sep 4 17:24:02 EST 2005

Yeah, what Keith just came out and said has been running over and over in my
mind for the past 6 months or so.  Planning for our future welfare is going
to be extremely difficult.

Australia won't escape the pain, but I don't think we'll be hit as hard as
other countries.  We'll probably go back to how things were before
Federation, sustainable cities and towns will survive, the unsustainable
others will slowly collapse.  And its not going to be the "designer
lifestyle" of this day and age, where you can make 80K a year as a
"strategic transition and service enablement manager", you'll actually have
to be useful.

If you want to get along in this kind of society, it won't be about having,
it'll be about being.  Invest your economic energy into things that will
make you useful, and things that will help you survive.

The only thing I'm worried about is how to plan for my old age.  At some
stage I'll be too old to labour effectively on a farm or whatever, I hope
society won't have degenerated to the point where old people are managed
Eskimo style.

Keith's point on land is also quite valid.  At the end of the day, whoever
has the biggest army owns everything, and for a while, that's likely to be
the state.  So even if a whole bunch of people started a big sustainable
village thing, you could bet your bottom dollar you'd have the government
interfering, requisitioning stuff to send to other areas that are sinking
and imposing policies and laws on you that probably won't be the best way to
go about things.

Cheers,

Leigh