[Peakoil] Trains vs trucks

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Thu Oct 13 15:41:48 EST 2005

At the Sustainable Transport presentation which Leigh and I went to last
night the presenter Faye Powell mentioned that studies had shown trains
were no greener for freight than trucks.

Apparently when she worked for National Rail they were going to do a big
advertising campaign about how green trains were but a study showed the
difference in emissions slightly favoured trucks! So the ad campaign was
pulled.

She also pointed to the squealing noise of train wheels as evidence that
the efficiency gains of trains vs trucks using tyres are not great. Noise
is a problem in using rail in cities.

However I'd like to see the details of all this reasoning. I wonder if the
National Rail study is available?

Greenhouse aside, if the price of oil goes up, doesn't that favour
electrified rail? And if bitumen is expensive, aren't steel rails cheaper
to maintain?

And I've sent another version of the letter to the Canberra Times.

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil discussion list
http://act-peakoil.org