[Peakoil] draft letter

POLLARD,Sandy Sandy.POLLARD at dewr.gov.au
Wed Oct 12 15:07:22 EST 2005

Nice work, Alex. I've suggested what I hope are enhancements [square
brackets]. Cheers, Sandy.

[Keith Sutor's] opinion piece "Oil-reliant nations walking the steep
slope of Huppert's peak"
(CT, 11/10/2005) provides a useful overview of the problems of world oil

supply. [The] correct name is actually "Hubbert's Peak", named after
Marion King Hubbert, who successfully predicted [in 1956] that the peak
of US
mainland oil production would occur around 1970.

Hubbert [showed] that rates of oil production follow a rough bell curve.

Hubbert's Peak is the point at which oil production reaches its maximum
[ ] output, [and comes at the point in time when approximately half the
finite reserves have been extracted. But the price of oil before the
Peak is likely to be a lot lower than after, as production decreases
year-by-year].

[As] production increases prior to the peak, energy forecasters become
accustomed to production always matching ever-increasing demand. But as
the peak passes, supply contracts and the price surges upward. [As the
oil company Chevron declared recently, "One thing is clear: the age of
easy oil is over"].

Given oil's essential role in transport, as an industrial feedstock -
and importantly, in agriculture - our society, lulled into believing
there are no limits to supply, is
badly unprepared.  [So] far people have not been given a complete
picture,
rather prices have been left to do the talking. This has limited debate
supposed fixes on the supply-side such as ethanol and fuel excise cuts.
But
conservation measures are essential. We should not be wasting public
money
or time on dubious or self-defeating measures while the peak looms.