[Peakoil] PO preparation discussion sheet for Australia

Nature and Society Forum office at natsoc.org.au
Tue Jul 26 09:54:50 EST 2005

I have drafted a one-sheet summary of peak oil to stimulate discussion in Australia.  The audience is the average Australian and it could be distributed to letterboxes in your neighbourhood, handed out in shopping centres, posted on workplace noticeboards, passed on to friends and acquaintances.

The focus of the sheet is on the range and nature of preparations we should be making for PO.  The tone is moderate, that is, I have not used terms like "shock'", 'profound change", "the end of civilization as we know it". I generally talk of what "may" or "could" happen rather than what "will" happen. I am leaving it to intelligent readers to 'join the dots' on issues where they feel most at risk. It is, after all, a discussion paper.

Because my sheet covers a wide range of things for which we need to prepare and gives examples of how we could prepare, I have hopes that its comprehensiveness itself will be persuasive.

Nevertheless, the weakness in my sheet is that it is light on the evidence for PO.  We are all convinced of this, but others will be more skeptical.  Of course I can refer people to the standard PO websites, but these won't often convince newcomers.  Newcomers will want independent confirmation - something on the ABC, a statement by the Prime Minister, leader of the Opposition or other major public figure, a persuasive article in the mainstream press.

What are your favourite or most useful statements or references that persuade newcomers that the problem is real?

The final will be posted on the internet where there will be references for each section.  The sheet itself will invite feedback (just as I am inviting from you) and will be continually refined in the light of the feedback.

If you would like to see a draft of this sheet, please e-mail me directly.
Keith Thomas
(02) 6288 0760 (Weekday mornings);  0412 487 625 (Mobile)
keith at evfit.com