[Peakoil-announce] Food Matters Workshop

Alex Pollard alex-po at trevbus.org
Wed Aug 27 04:45:15 UTC 2008

An interesting workshop I think will be worth attending, see below.

Alex
O4O4873828

President
ACT Peak Oil Inc.
http://act-peakoil.org

_______________________________

We are taking a whole of problem approach to food and the carbon footprint,
from looking at how things are grown - eg conventional agricultural
fertilisation and tillage practices add very substantially to the carbon
footprint of our food; what is grown, what we puchase from where; how we
eat, cook, prepare and save it; and what we can do to reduce carbon impacts
from food waste.  I have included this last part because food makes up
almost 50% of the domestic waste stream in the ACT (according to the last
rubbish audit).  We are also looking at things like the need to increase
domestic biodiversity and to plant differently, if we are seeking to
provide more local content to our food in our own gardens.

The workshop is being run by Joyce Wilkie of Allsun Farm and myself (an
avid organic backyard grower).  It runs from 10-3pm, at Lion's Youth Haven
on Kambah Pool Road, costs $40 and includes lunch and refreshments.  I
attach our flyer.

Thanks

FIona

Food Matters

A workshop about food: how we eat it, cook it, where it comes
from and whether our food choices can make a difference

Sunday 14 September 2008  10am to 3pm
Lions Youth Haven, Kambah Pool Road

Everyone’s heard about global warming.  But how many of us know that the
food we eat often adds to it?

The distance food travels to get to our table, where and how it is grown,
and what we choose to eat can increase greenhouse gases, global warming and
our own carbon footprints.

Find out how you can eat well and more sustainably at the Food Matters
Workshop, which will  :

• Look at impacts of how our food is currently grown and supplied and
explore what might happen as oil costs continue to rise
• Show what we can all do to start making changes now
• Find ways to plan your food supply as if global warming really mattered
• Gain practical tools and methods to reduce the carbon footprint of what
you eat
• And
 enjoy good food and conversation.

Workshop leaders are commercial organic vegetable grower Joyce Wilkie of
Allsun Farm, Gundaroo, and Fiona Tito-Wheatland of Enduring Solutions who
grows a vigorous kitchen garden in Kambah.

Cost: $40 – Lunch and morning tea provided.    Places limited, so book
early

Fiona Tito-Wheatland
11 Masters Place
KAMBAH  ACT  2902